OUR MISSION: Develop and operate
safely, efficiently and profitably
a natural gas transportation
system across Quebec

Pipeline crossings

Call or Click Before You Dig

Whether you’re digging a foundation on a commercial jobsite, a swimming pool in your backyard or planting a tree, always know what’s below first. Before putting a shovel in the ground, contact your local Info-Excavation Centre (see side bar for contact information) to have all underground utilities located and marked free of charge.

Consequences of unsafe digging include:

  • Risk of serious injuries and death
  • Fines and repair costs to fix the underground utility line(s)
  • Interrupted services such as electricity, gas and water

To ensure everyone’s safety, always call or click before you dig.

Crossing or completing work near utilities may also require the written consent of TQM. Instructions on when and how to apply for written consent are provided under the Info-Excavation contact information.

One-Call (Info-Excavation)

  • Québec: 1.800.663.9228

Online Locate Requests

Mobile Phone Apps

Contact Us Before You Cross or Encroach

Our company is committed to the safety of everyone living or working near our pipelines and associated facilities. Please keep in mind that certain activities can pose a risk to a pipeline and the people around it.

Before crossing or completing work that could result in a ground disturbance close to any of our facilities, it is imperative to contact us first to obtain written consent. “Crossing” can mean building or installing a temporary or permanent structure across, along or underneath a pipeline right of way or facility site.

Crossing could also mean driving a vehicle, mobile equipment or machinery along or across the right-of-way or site.

The following lists the type of activities and installations generally not permitted by TQM on its right-of-ways:

  • Any Structure
  • Aggregate development, blasting, seismic activities or quarries
  • Campsites
  • Dugouts
  • Golf courses or mini golf courses
  • Livestock feeders
  • Pools
  • Parking lots
  • Community gardens
  • Storage

Crossing and Encroachment Applications: What You Need to Know

To ensure our pipelines and facilities operate safely, written consent from TQM must be obtained before any of the following:

  • Constructing or installing a facility across, on, along or under a TQM pipeline right-of-way or facility site
  • Conducting ground disturbance (excavation or digging) on or within the prescribed area, (30 metres (100 feet) from the centreline of the pipeline) or facility site
  • Driving a vehicle, mobile equipment or machinery across a TQM pipeline right-of-way outside the travelled portion of a highway or public road or on a facility site
  • Using any explosives within 300 metres (1,000 feet) of TQM pipeline right-of-way or facility

Agricultural Crossings

Landowners operating agricultural vehicles across TQM’s pipeline rights-of-way may do so without consent provided they operate under normal conditions. Normal operating conditions include:

  • the loaded axle weight and tire pressures of the vehicle or mobile equipment are within the manufac¬turer’s approved limits and operating guidelines;
  • the point of crossing has not been restricted by TQM; and
  • The vehicle or mobile equipment is used for typical agricultural activities such as in the production of crops and the raising of animals, including pasturing and cultivation activities such as tillage, plowing, disking and harrowing.

In all other conditions, written consent is required.

How to Apply for Consent

  1. Determine the location of your work relative to TQM’s Facilities.

    When planning, and before any of the work or activities listed above can begin, a request for consent must be submitted to TQM through our online application form. We will no longer be accepting applications through email. Location of the work is required, along with the proximity to TQM’s rights-of-way. This information can be obtained through survey plans, or through an Info-Excavation visit (please side bar for Info-Excavation contact information).

  2. Complete and submit the online Crossing Application:

    The online application is located here: WrittenConsent.TCEnergy.com

  3. Application assessment and consent:

    Once your information has been assessed and potential impacts have been evaluated, TQM may:
    • a. Grant consent without any conditions
    • b. Grant consent that requires certain conditions to be met to assure safety, or
    • c. Not grant consent

  4. Work or activity:

    Once consent has been granted, the Applicant must follow the guidance included in the written consent. A local Info-Excavation notification center must be contacted at least three (3) business days before beginning the work. TQM will send a representative to mark the location of the pipeline facilities. Please plan your work schedule accordingly. The approval documentation must be onsite at all times.

Want to learn more?

Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 28 KB)

Regulatory Requirements and other Guidance Governing Crossings and Ground Disturbances Near Pipelines:

National Energy Board

For more information, please contact us at:

Road Use Applications and Road Ban Notifications

Industry Notifications

General Inquiries